Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Button, Button, Who's Got the Button?


Remember that? That old children’s game could provide endless hours of giggles.

I love buttons. Maybe that’s because I was raised by a dressmaker, who was raised by a dressmaker... Some of my earliest memories are playing in my Mom’s button jar. 




I fondly remember sitting Indian-style on our harvest gold shag rug (it was the 70's after all)! If I was being really good, Mom would let me spill a big jar full of buttons on the floor of her sewing room and I would spend hours carefully choosing my favorite ones. Putting them in lovely shimmering piles of all shapes, colors, and sizes could entertain me for an entire afternoon. 


When I got a little older, I used buttons for eyes in puppets, the center of daisies, and decorated frames and Christmas ornaments. When I had a craft project that needed a little more pizzazz, I would excitedly reach for Mom's button jar! 


Not much has changed today, as I still find myself reaching into Mom's button jar to add a little flair to my art projects.  



If I close my eyes long enough, I can almost hear the crescendo and decrescendo of Mom's sewing machine and the music playing in the background on her black weathered transistor radio as she softly hummed along. In an instant I am transported to simpler times. For sure.
 

Will you indulge me for just a moment with some button eye-candy!?


 Love this precious little button dress. I call it The Dressmaker's Daughter.

Sweet button bouquet.

I'm always a sucker for letter graphics. Throw in some buttons and the result is oh so cute!



The uses in jewelry making are limitless!

Who can resist holiday crafting with buttons?! Not I.  

Next month marks the 9th anniversary of the passing of my sweet momma. After she passed away, the thing I treasured most were not her jewels, nor the prized and rare pieces of Lladro, and not the "valuable" antiques. The thing I still look at every day is her vast collection of buttons. Not valuable to anyone else but me. 

This post was written to honor my lovely, little (4 foot 9 inches) dressmaker momma. She still inspires me.
Every. Single. Day. 



Button, button, who's got the button? Thankfully, I do.  

Happy Day! xoxo Rena 




11 comments:

  1. Oh My!! So many wonderful ideas with buttons!! So very clever. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I may do a follow up post on buttons...I had to reduce the amount of inspiration photos otherwise the post could have gone on forever!

      :) Rena

      Delete
  2. Oh My!! I'm with Pollyanna! Serious eye candy for the button lovers! I LOVE!!! Thanks for some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I miss your face! Let's get together...soon!

      :) Rena

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet little post Rena. i remember the first jar i purchased filled with old buttons- i thought it was the prettiest thing i had ever seen. thank you for the button inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine. I'm pretty much a sucker for jars filled with buttons!!!

      xoxo Rena

      Delete
  5. I am dying to make the letter out of buttons. Want to join me and we will have a day to make it and frame it up?
    xoxo
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Name the date and time and I'll be there!!!
      <3 Rena

      Delete
  6. you've given me button inspiration!
    how fun, love the story of your buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. clearly it is time to dig out my stash...
    these photos make me want to sew on buttons all day today.

    ReplyDelete