Wednesday, May 30, 2012

How bout Cupcakes

May is such a crazy month, more so than December.  Unfortunately I have had almost no time to do Art.  Since tomorrow night our Art group meets and I have to make a treat for it, I thought I would kill two birds with one stone, bake and blog.  I love to bake and experiment with different recipes and change things up.  I decided to do that today and combine two of my favorite things, creme brulee and cupcakes.  I saw it done on Cupcake Wars a few weeks ago and it sounded delicious.

I started with one of my favorite chocolate cupcake recipes from the Magnolia bakery.
2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 c butter
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
4 eggs
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate melted
1 c buttermilk
1 t vanilla extract
In a  medium bowl sift flour and baking soda and set aside.
In a large bowl cream butter and sugars until smooth.  Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.  Add chocolate and mix well.  Add dry ingredients in thirds alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla.
Line cupcake pans with papers and fill 3/4 full.  Bake at 325 for 15-20 mins or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.
In the meantime make the Creme Brulee.  I actually found the recipe online that they used on cupcakes wars and I used that and just modified it a little.  I didn't use it for the actual cupcake recipe since I wanted the cupcake to be chocolate.
Creme Brulee
1/3 c sugar
1 t vanilla
4 large egg yolks
1 1/2 c heavy cream
Whisk all four ingredients together.  Pour into 9x9 pan and place that pan on an 18x13 pan and pour two cups of water in the the 18x13 pan to make a water bath for baking.  Bake at 325 for 30-45 mins until creme brulee is set (does not jiggle when shaken).  Cool completely.
Frosting
1 cup butter
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 c  dulce de leche carmel
1 t vanilla
4-5 cups powdered sugar
Mix first three ingredients until smooth then slowly add the sugar.
To assemble the cupcakes I cut a small cone shape out the the tops of each of the cupcakes.  Then I filled the hole in the cupcake with about 2-3 teaspoons of the Creme Brulee.  I then cut the bottom of the cone off and placed the top back on the cupcake.  Then I frosted the cupcake.
These were a big hit with my family hopefully I will have enough left for art group tomorrow.
Thanks for stopping by.
Sherri

1 comment: